Waking up on Christmas morning is easily one of the most exciting feelings. The only thing to make that feeling even better is waking up to the smell of cheesy sausage & hash brown casserole baking away in the oven. This recipe is super simple & can easily be made ahead of time so you don’t have to wake up any earlier on Christmas morning to make breakfast! You can assemble the whole casserole a day or two in advance & just pop it in the oven in the morning!
Cheese Sausage & Hash Brown Casserole
Yield: 8-10 servings
- olive oil
- 2 20oz bags refrigerated hash browns
- 12 eggs, scrambled & seasoned with 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, medium diced
- 1lb breakfast sausage
- 6oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees & prepare a baking dish by spraying it with nonstick spray, then set aside.
- Cook the hash browns according to package & season with 1 teaspoon salt. As the hash browns begin to brown remove them to a large bowl. Once all the hash browns have browned & are moved to the bowl, begin cooking the onions.
- Sauté the onions in 2 teaspoons of oil, over medium heat, in the same skillet where you cooked the hash browns. Season the onions with ½ teaspoon of salt & cook until translucent & soft, about 10 minutes.
- Once the onions are finished cooking, place them in the bowl with the hash browns & stir to combine.
- Return the pan to the heat & cook the sausage over medium heat until browned & cooked through. Make sure to break up the sausage with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Once the sausage has cooked through it’s time to assemble the casserole.
- Begin by laying down the hash brown & onion mixture. Then scoop on the sausage using a slotted spoon to leave off any excess oil.
- Pour over the scrambled eggs & tilt the pan around to ensure the eggs are evenly distributed.
- Finally, sprinkle the top with cheese* & bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Then bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
*This is the point where you can refrigerate or freeze the casserole if not serving right away. Wrap the dish, tightly, in plastic wrap & foil, then place in the fridge or freezer. Once you’re ready to bake the casserole, remove it from the fridge & let it come to room temperature on the counter for 30 minutes before baking. If frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge before baking.