When it comes to meatless Monday, I focus a lot on dinner recipes because most of the meals I cook are dinners. I like to mix things up from time to time so this week’s meatless Monday recipe is a lunch recipe. I also like to appeal to all types of diets so it’s important to incorporate vegetarian meals for every time of day!
This sandwich is quick & easy to throw together. The chickpea salad can be made in advance which makes it great for taking to work or school. This sandwich is completely customizable so you can top it with whatever veggies you have on hand!
Start by gathering all your ingredients. Drain one can of chickpeas & put them into a shallow bowl.
Using a potato masher or fork, smash the chickpeas until they’re about 75% mashed, leaving a few still whole. Remove any large clumps of the chickpea skin that comes off while smashing the beans. Next add the smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper. Stir to combine. Then add the mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon at a time until the salad reaches a consistency you like. I used 2 tablespoons.
While making the salad, toast your bread. Then prep your veggies. I used mixed greens, sliced tomatoes, micro greens & avocado.
Top your bread with the chickpea salad & veggies. Enjoy!
- 1 15oz can Chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- Bread of choice
- Veggies of choice
- Drain one can of chickpeas & put them into a shallow bowl.
- Using a potato masher or fork, smash the chickpeas until they’re about 75% mashed, leaving a few still whole. Remove any large clumps of the chickpea skin that comes off while smashing the beans.
- Add the smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon at a time until the salad reaches a consistency you like. I used 2 tablespoons.
- While making the salad, toast your bread & prep your veggies. I used mixed greens, sliced tomatoes, micro greens & avocado.
- Top your bread with the chickpea salad & veggies.
When the new year started I knew I wanted to enact a new tradition in the kitchen. I was also trying to eat less meat so Meatless Monday’s seemed like the perfect choice. At first it was very daunting, the thought of having to come up with a new meatless recipe every single week, but I was excited for the challenge.
These tacos were my first ever Meatless Monday recipe and I was so happy they turned out as incredible as they did. It was scary after all, trying something new. The delicious taste and full feeling in my tummy after eating these tacos was telling me I’d be okay.
When trying to come up with this recipe I first focused on the main ingredient. What was going to be my ‘meat substitute’ for this dish? I also knew I wanted to do tacos because they’re an easy way to try out new ingredients and combinations.
I have always loved chickpeas and I find them really filling so I decided to make them the base of the taco. I knew I wanted to add a fresh component to add contrast so I thought riced broccoli and avocado would be really yummy. Then I just had to figure out how to season the chickpeas and some kind of saucy or creamy element and I was done! My first Meatless Monday recipe, done! This was very exciting for me. The best part? This wasn’t just a meatless dish, but it was also vegan! What an exciting way to start a new tradition!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Serves: about 8 tacos
- 2-3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 15oz can chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, smashed
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 6-8 tortilla (depending on size)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Put broccoli florets into a food processor & pulse until broccoli becomes finely chopped up, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine drained chickpeas with 1 tablespoon of oil, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine tahini & lemon juice and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan heat remaining oil on medium heat. Add onions and sauté until onions are soft & starting to brown. Add the smashed garlic clove and stir around until fragrant.
- Add seasoned chickpeas to the pan and cook until heated through and slightly browned.
- When chickpeas become soft take a potato masher (or fork) and smash about half of the chickpeas.
- Add shredded carrots to the pan with the chickpeas & cook until they become soft.
- Heat your tortillas and spread some of the tahini onto the bottom of the tortilla.
- Next, lay on the chickpea & carrot mixture.
- Top each taco with broccoli, sliced avocado & more of the tahini mixture.